* This post is regularly updated. *
Favicons (favorite icons) are the small images that are associated with a website. It will be displayed on address bar, tabbed browsers and your bookmark list. Therefore, creating an outstanding favicon is particularly important for website branding. The basic guidelines for design a good favicon are “simple” and “unique”.
Here is the simple steps for beginners to set up favicons,
1. create a favicon (16 x16) for your sites;
2. upload favicon.ico to root directory;
3. copy and paste the code to header section;
<link rel=”shortcut icon” href=”favicon.ico” type=”image/x-icon” />
4. reload your sites and finish!
It is more complex if you want the favicons also work well at IE, for more information you might take a look the links at the bottom. And the generators below is selected from almost 50 favicon tools on the web. Simply drop me a message if you have any better suggestions.
Webscriptlab Favicon Generator – we mentioned this site before at 13 Online Generators For Web2.0 Design before.
15. http://www.html-kit.com/favicon/ – probably most popular one.
16. http://www.favicon.jp/ – Japanese site.
17. http://tools.dynamicdrive.com/favicon/ – DynamicDrive tool.
- Inspire Yourself: 50 Remarkable Favicons – Smashing Magazine favicons showcase.
- Making a Good Favicon
- How To: Animated Favicon – tips for create animated favicon manually.
- Favicons – How To Make Them Work For You
- http://www.favicon.com/ – favicons faq.
- Making a favicon – tutorial for making favicons that work at IE and FF.